Monday, January 24, 2011

Workin' on the Water Stop Gang

(Hooh! aah!) (hooh! aah!)
(Hooh! aah!) (hooh! aah!)

All day long they're singin', mm
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my work(out) is so hard
Give me water, I'm thirsty
My work(out) is so hard
~ "Chain Gang" ~ Sam Cooke

Since I am rehabbing my foot injury, I decided to work a water stop for Craig Moss and his Mt Gleason Runners this past Saturday. When I run with the group, I notice that it is always the same parents out there volunteering their time working the water stops for the kids. Tony, Jenny and I worked the second water stop, we had water, Gatorade, and gummy worms and snacks, along with band aids, tissue and moral support. The route for Saturday was a 5 mile loop done 3 times, so we got to see quite a bit of the kids. Each time they came around, they looked a little more worn out than the last, but we offered them words of encouragement, they thanked us and pressed on. After the last of the kids came by, we packed up and headed back to Mc Donald's to drop off the supplies. I really enjoyed seeing the kids from the other side of water stop, and getting to know some of the parent volunteers.

LA Marathon Training Week # 9 and #10

The last 2 weeks, training has been limited to the pool and the bike trainer, although I did get a 17 mile bike ride in on Sunday. It was a very tough ride as I was faced with 30-40 mph sustained wind and gusts up to 60 mph...no fun when riding a bike. I wondered why I didn't see more cyclist out on Sunday...they were smart and stayed home! 


This week, I will attempt 5 miles on Thursday night and if all goes well, I will try and get in 11 miles on Saturday. I was given some advice from Leigh at Athletes Treating Athletes in regards to my situation with the Peroneal Tendonitis. She suggested seeing an A.R.T./Graston Technique person to help speed up the recover process. I have sought advice and recommendations from twitter and hope to find someone good here this week.

No comments: