Saturday, July 9, 2011

Time...A Precious Commodity

I keep looking at this blog and thinking I really need to write something. After all, it has been over 2 months since I last posted anything, but I really haven't had much time to write. So today...I am forcing myself to write!

The last few months have been crazy as I have been training for my first half ironman triathlon...Vineman 70.3. The race is next weekend and I have been preparing for the last few months. I have 9 workouts over 6 days with Friday being my only rest day. I'm not going to lie...it has taken it toll, not only on me, but those around me. I tend to be a bit cranky at times! I get home after 8pm 3 nights a week, spend most of Saturday on a bike doing my long rides and several hours on Sunday doing a long run. My wife has been a real trooper when it comes to my training, but I think she is glad it's almost over. In a way...I am too...I can get my life back. There are so many things (projects, honey do's, etc) that I have pushed aside during this training plan, and after next week's race, I must deal with them.

Over the last few months, I have met some amazing people and done some really good training rides/runs with. I was really fortunate to meet @roadchickie and she took me under her wing and showed me how to embrace and love cycling. "Ride for Food and Beer"is her motto! You can read about most of our rides on her blog: www.mydogparty.blogspot.com  As she says...I have drank the cycling kool-aid and now I am thinking about doing a century ride later this year. I also got to do a couple of rides with Ron and Rebecca and we all did a Sprint Triathlon today, which was a lot of fun. The last few weeks, I have been running with Craig Moss and some of his Mt Gleason Runners in the hills of Griffith Park. Some serious trail running with lots of elevation gain.

Recently, I was asked what are my plans after Vineman? I said I am taking a break from training, although I still want to get in a good bike ride and run every other week or so. I only have one race on the schedule and that is the Disneyland Half marathon in September. I still need to decide if I want to run the LA Marathon again next year or take the year off. I may just volunteer with Craig and his SRLA kids working water stops and doing some of the shorter runs. I dont know...I probably wont make that decision until late September.

This week is a pretty light training week, although I will put in some extra workouts in the pool. I was not pleased with this mornings swim (Sprint Triathlon) so I need to get it figured out before next week. We leave on Friday morning for Sonoma and the race is Sunday.

Thank you to everyone for your support!, especially those of you who has put in training miles with me either on the bike or by foot, it means everything to me.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Good luck next weekend! I'll be thinking of you!

PRC said...

Good luck on the Tri Bob, can't wait to hear all about it !

Mary Elizabeth (MErider) said...

you have drank the Koolaid!!!! Yippee! As for training for large events, back when I rode double centuries, all I did was train every weekend. It consumed my life without room for much else. When it was over, I think I took two weeks off to do anything but train. Then, I kinda missed it. That's the nature of the game! You will do great next week at Vineman, and then afterwards, take a break. My bike and I will be here when you're ready to roll again. But you and Tina should just frolic in a field for awhile! You'll have earned it. ;-)

Glenn Jones said...

Best of luck and, most important, have fun! Looking forward to the report next week.