Wednesday, October 6, 2010

When Life Gets in the Way

The last few weeks have been quite challenging as life has gotten in the way of any training I had planned. After 33 years in one location, my company decided it was time to move to a larger location. After 2 months of planning, the day finally arrived and the moving trucks showed up and so we began the process of moving a dental supply company. The challenge was not only that none of us had ever moved a company before, but we had to be up and operational in the new facility in 4 days! Holy S&!t...That means, phones, computers and 20,000 SKU's had to be moved and put into place in 96 hours. Oh yeah, I forgot that it turned out to be the hottest weekend of 2010! When it was all said and done, it took us 4-1/2 days to move and become operational, we worked 13 days straight and 9 of those days were 12+ hour days. Needless to say...I didn't get any training done at all. I was too tired to drag myself to the pool at 5am and getting home after 9pm didn't bode well for a run. I was able to get my first run in last Thursday at A Runner's Circle Fun Run with my RP, Melissa. It turned out to be a "Not so Fun Run" as we were both hurting and found running to be difficult. My back, knee and ankle were hurting that running was just not comfortable. Out of the 3 miles we "ran", we walked about 1.5 miles of that.

So this week has been much of the same...I have not made it to the pool yet this week and may just take the week off. I will get in a 5 mile run on Thursday night and possibly 8 miles on Saturday. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am doing a limited training schedule through mid November when I start my LA Marathon training in full force.

One highlight from last week was I went to see Carrie Underwood at the Hollywood Bowl with my wife, Tina, Melissa and Ann. What a great show! Here is a little taste of the finale complete with fireworks. What a great way to end a couple of tough weeks!

No comments: